Legal Insurrection posts an ad from MSNBC that offers a disturbing claim:
“We have to break through our kind of private idea that kids belong to their parents”
What does that mean, exactly? It may seem rather harmless initially, so I will offer you a personal example.
Two days after I wrote on my blog that I am a single, disabled mom of four and that my kids and I are below the poverty line but do not receive any form of government check, a social worker came knocking on our door because a reader had called Child Protective Services to investigate me. The social worker was only too happy to do so. She investigated to find out if we have “stuff” (food in the fridge, computer, television, air conditioning, etc.) and took pictures of these things to put into a file. After she left, I contacted the state ombudsman who handles complaints about our social services department, explained to her what “swatting” is and let her know quite clearly how very little I appreciated (understatement) this visit from a social worker that was prompted by a reader who believes I am abusing my kids by not being on the government dole.
My kids and I get help primarily from their father (as it is a father’s duty to provide for his family), from my readers (please donate in the sidebar), from other bloggers (Father Z raised money to fix our heat), from our local charities, our local Catholic parish and from individual local Catholics.
Thankfully, the social worker never returned after I called the ombudsman. My point in sharing all of this is to demonstrate that the reader who called social services did so because she believes, as MSNBC does, that my kids belong to HER, not to me, and she believed that not being signed up for government services is child abuse.
Meanwhile, MSNBC is, in my opinion, abusing children. Watch this video, also at Legal Insurrection, to see what I mean.
I hope that all parents who love their kids will take a stand against the radical left. You can do this by such things as:
- Fighting back when you are attacked, as I did in calling the ombudsman to complain and to educate her about “swatting.”
- Speak out publicly on social media, blogs, and in community meetings about parental rights.
- Speak out against “gay marriage” which I truly believe is primarily a political tool to erase from civil law the notion that kids have a right to a relationship with their biological parents.
- Support other parents who are facing attacks on their parental rights.
- Pray every day for an end to the radical left’s hold on American culture and politics, for politicians (like Rick Santorum and Sarah Palin) who seek to uphold parental rights, and for spiritual leaders, especially those active in the political sphere, like Tony Perkins.
Please do not ignore what is going on today in America. Your own family could be the next to suffer.